Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Genetically modified mutant food, or ethically changed food distribution?

Question: Would you rather eat genetically modified foods grown without pesticides, or eat natural foods grown with pesticides?

Difficult as this question may be, I think its important to fully understand the background to this question before answering seriously.

Genetically modified foods (GMO's) are extremely common in North America, because of their fast growing rates and ability to grow in cold climates. GMO's are made when DNA from an existing organism is combined with it's DNA to create a new species, or enhanced species.
There are many different kinds of altered foods, so remember not to group them all in together.

In my personal opinion, even though it is unknown what the side effects of GMO's x bacteria/molds etc are, I think it is okay.
My major concern is with the hybrid plants x animals. At first I felt like this is wrong, because it is not "natural", but then I thought, would it have a conscienceness? Do animals have conscieness? Would a tomato with artic fish gene have a conscienceness?

going to bed...continue this later ;)

No comments: